Will you take me back?
I totally went MIA but when my hotel didn’t have free wireless in California, I decided to detach myself from the internet for the week in the name of family time. I think I made the right choice but I missed you all very much.
This past week took me COMPLETELY out of my comfort zone and i’m not going to lie, I stressed over every little morsel of food that I felt was unsafe, and while i’m not proud of this, the reality is that I ate it despite the stress & as a very wise girl said, I am still alive. Vacations are meant to be enjoyed and indulgences are 100% acceptable. I have no reason to feel guilty and I did nothing that would be considered unordinary for someone on vacation. I even was able to exercise most days. So overall, I had a great vacation. Was it eating disorder free? hell to the no. But I survived and for the first time in quite some time, I felt normal.
We went to arizona first to celebrate my Great-Uncle’s 70th birthday & the weather was to die for! Then we went to California to visit my Uncle & to shop/relax. It wasn’t very warm *tear* but that left more room for shopping and I am always up for shopping. & My Mom & I went to the Price is Right! Though we didn’t get picked (sad), we had a fabulouuus time. Enjoy the pictures (obviously not everything eaten was pictured)- I’ll explain but a full narration of the trip would take days and I just want to get back to regular posting asap!
so here goes nothin’…
a freakin’ fresh salad from Pita Jungle with sooo many delish veggies & grilled chicken on top
fancy shmancy dinner for my Uncle’s birthday party. The first picture is a pear salad & the second is kung-pao style chicken. Also accompanied with bread & drinks! This dinner was at a hotel called the Sanctuary and it was gorgeous.
the best meal. Scallops over greens with goat cheese, Portobello mushrooms & grilled flatbread AMAZING. & with about 4 pieces of amazing bread from the bread basket (banana bread, crispy flat bread, & a roll). I had a major food baby after this.
& I got to visit 1 of my best friends who goes to USC 🙂
airport salaadd- eaten with an apple & pretzels.
I arrived home TIRED & I got to see Gar- yayyy I missed him a lot a lot a lot.
Today I had my MUCH missed fage 2%- I seriously had withdrawals haha.
& then the travelling chaos began as we made our way back to Madison (so excited). Gar & I literally had to SPRINT to our connecting flight in Detroit- we were both dying. Naturally, he was sleepy & naturally I took pictures & messed with him justttt a bit. what a cutie
We were starvin marvin’ when we landed & Whole Foods was pretty much on the way back soooo… yeah 🙂 LOTS of veggies (mostly), a bit of chinese chicken salad, some curried squash, & some tofu too!
& I ate a taste of this matzoh ball soup- I just had to. I hope you don’t judge me, I am jewish but skipped Passover this year because of family vacation and in all honestly, because of my recovery. It would have been REALLY hard to keep it on this trip but having this soup made me feel a teeny bit better 🙂
Anyways, I have so much I want to share with you but there is no way I am shoving it all in one post. I want to talk about some new fashion trends I love in my next post along with my opinion on diet soda (which I planned to talk about before) & much more but for now I will summarize this wrap-up trip post by telling you a few things I learned while away.
1. It’s ok to eat outside your comfort zone for a week. Obviously, I knew this before my eating disorder but the thought of doing this freaked me out. After the week, though I feel as though I may have put on a pound or two, I lived and I am still the same Shelley as I was before!
2. I prefer relaxing vacations. This vacation was amazing and I am so thankful that my family is able to go on vacations like this but I definitely love beach vacations without stress. I think my family would agree =] It was hard to balance seeing all of our relatives with doing other activities.
3. Vacations are not about food. I used to not even think about food when I went on vacation & I hate how now that is something I think about a lot. I know it will change with work & time, but vacations are about the time spent with people you care about and the amazing things you experience.
4. I love my family. Despite the fact that we fought & argued A LOT and I was pretty ready to come back to school, I still feel so lucky to have such an amazing family and I love them very much!
5. Yogurtland is quite possibly the best invention ever created. enough said.
Hope you are doing well! Tell me what you have been up to? Have you learned anything lately?
song of the moment- day dreamer by Donavon Frankenreiter